Everyone is surely going to get excited when decide to adopt a dog. Truly a mans best friend, you can rely on your pet dog in giving you company, cuddling up together and some can even guard your house.
You need to review your personal lifestyle and needs when adopting a dog. It is a major decision whether or not you would choose to have a puppy or an adult as a pet. Before deciding on which dog to adopt, here is some useful information that might help you decide:
* Bringing up a puppy is an advantage because this means that you would guide its growth and well being. You would have the chance to raise it up according to what you want. This means you can ensure that it is properly nurtured with the right dog food, ensure that necessary dog shots are given and prevent heartworm at this early stage. Having your puppy personally trained is also a plus since you can teach him exactly what you want.
* You should adopt a puppy when it is at least 10 weeks old. Puppies need a lot of time to be cared for by their mothers. This is a crucial stage for them. They somehow gain a psychological advantage for both puppy and for the mother dog as well.
* A puppy can easily adjust to new surroundings as compared to an adult dog. Although most puppies may cause minimal to major damage to your personal stuff while they are in the stage of teething. They need to be housebroken and house training needs a lot of time, effort and patience from the owner.
* There is no assurance of what a puppy would look like when it gets old; especially it is a mixed breed. Also, his temperament might change too when he grows up.
* Most pet owners love how puppies can be entertaining. They are very cute and adorable pets that is a hit for both children and grown ups. Puppies can be easily regarded as one of the family.
On adult dogs
* You would have less of a fuss taking care of an adult dog. They already have this established behavior that you can easily adopt too. By being with the dog more often, you would have more or less an idea of what its temperament is.
* You need to get as much information that you can when adopting an adult dog. Take note of its habits and mood swings. You can acquire these valuable data from the previous owners of the dog. Some adult dogs may have some behavior issues. It is important to take note of them.
* It may take some time and effort for an adult dog to be completely comfortable with a new owner.
* Take note that you need to introduce an adult dog to your children and other household members. This would help the dog be familiar with them and helps them refrain from biting or barking thinking that they maybe strangers.
* Adult dog may not need your full attention unlike puppies need and would require lesser trips to the veterinary.
* For a fully grown dog physique and behavior is basically not a variable anymore. What you see is basically what you get.
* Most dogs are housebroken already so they would cause lesser damage to your belongings and dont wake up at night like most puppies do. They have over grown the impulse of chewing things he has his eyes on.
* An older dog can easily adapt to other pets, like other dogs or cats, if you have a group of them at your household.
Adopting a dog is not an easy task and choosing which one to adopt can be a little tricky too. Everyone loves sweet looking puppies, but not everyone can stand up to the tiresome house training.
Though most would appreciate the bonding shared with them. Adult dogs need no great amount of guidance but can still turn out to be a lovable pet.
Whichever you think is the right pet for you, just keep in mind that taking care of them needs a lot of time and effort.
In return, they would always keep you company and has ready smile with an excited wag of tail waiting for you everyday.