1. A dog’s nose prints are as distinctive as a human’s fingerprints, No two are exactly alike and they can be used to identify them.
3. Why are dogs noses wet? Dogs noses are wet to help absorb scent chemicals. Their nose secretes a special mucus which in turn helps to absorb these chemicals, and then they lick their noses to sample them, helping them to accurately understand what the smell is.
4. Newfoundland dogs are the ultimate “dog” lifeguards, being that they have water resistant coats along with webbed feet. They were originally bred as fisherman’s helpers and to rescue people from drowning. Some owners have even reported that their Newfoundland tries to “rescue” them when they’re swimming!
5. An African wolf dog; the Basenji is the only dog in the world that cannot bark. Instead they are known to yodel, whine or scream.
6. According to PBS, a Bloodhound’s sense of smell is so “spot-on” that it can be used as evidence in court. Bloodhounds also have the ability to follow tracks that are over 300 hours old and can stay on a trail for over 130 miles!
7. Greyhounds are the fastest dogs on earth, with speeds of up to 45 miles per hour. A Greyhound could beat a Cheetah in a long distance race. According to Psychology Today, Greyhounds are excellent long distance runners and can keep a speed of 35mph for up to 7 miles.
It is a well known fact that the Cheetah is incredibly fast, but it can only keep its speed of up to 58mph for around 200 -300 yards, so they may have the running start but it would ultimately be surpassed by a Greyhound!
9. People tend to think that dogs are color blind. Which is a myth, they can actually see in color, just not as vividly as we can. It is similar to a humans vision at dusk.
10. With approximately 89.7 million, the U.S.A. has the highest dog population in the world. France has the 2nd highest dog population consisting of approximatly 7,570,000 dog owners.
12. The one breed that is known to not be able to swim is the Basset Hound.
13. What kind of dog is on the Cracker Jack box? The name of the dog on the side of the Cracker Jack box is a Jack Russell Terrier named Bingo.
14. An estimated 1,000,000 dogs in the U.S. have been named as the primary beneficiaries in their owner’s will.
15. Your dog can genuinely get jealous when they see you display affection to another dog, another person or any other animal for that matter, according to a study at The University of California, San Diego.
16. What is a dog doing when they walk back and forth, circle around and when he is carefully choosing the perfect place to do his business? They do this because they prefer to go poop in alignment with the Earth’s magnetic field.
17. Does your dog have separation anxiety? It’s been proven that you can leave clothes with him or her that you’ve worn, the scent you leave behind on your clothes can possibly ease your dog’s separation anxiety.
18. The spiked collar design was originally created in ancient Greece to protect dogs’ throats from a possible wolf attack.
19. One study by Pet Wellness Brand (Ollie) showed that 96% of people would not date someone who did not like dogs.
20. There are 703 breeds of purebred dogs in the world.