How Can Human Food Harm Our Dogs-Part 2

We’re all guilty of it – giving in to those big begging eyes pleading at us for a scrap from the table during dinner. Our Puppies know just how to get you to give in, and most of us justify that a little won’t hurt, or we don’t even think of the potential danger at all.

But the truth is that human food can be harmful to your pet, and in some cases, can be fatal. It’s important to know how certain foods can be unsafe so that you can avoid them for the sake of your dog.

Here is how a few of some of the most common “human foods” can be harmful for dogs :

Chocolate and other foods containing caffeine

Caffeine is one of the greatest culprits because it contains an alkaloid called theobromine. Theobromine acts as a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic, which in turn can cause a heart attack or other heart and nervous system problems in animals.

Even a small amount of chocolate can be harmful to your dog. All types of chocolates, Dark chocolates, and dry cocoa powder are more dangerous than milk or white chocolate. Chocolate also contains theobromine.

Which humans easily process alkaloid, but dogs digest it at a much slower rate, because of this, it builds up toxic levels in their system. A small amount of chocolate will likely only give your dog an upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea.

1 ounce per pound of body weight is lethal for your dog. 1 pound of milk chocolate is toxic for a 20+ lb dog, while 1/2 a lb is toxic for a smaller dog.

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic are potentially harmful due to the fact that both contain thiosulphate, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia in dogs. Of the two, onions are the most toxic, as consumption of simply one serving by your pet could result in anemia.

Milk

Milk can harm your pet due to the fact that many dogs tend to be lactose intolerant. The consumption of milk and milk products by a lactose intolerant dog creates a breeding ground for bacteria, causing vomiting and diarrhea.

Bones

Bones, although commonly known as a great treat for your dog, are potentially very dangerous. Once eaten, bones can splinter and get stuck in the intestines, causing damage or fatality. In most splinter cases, the bones must be removed surgically.

Other Foods

Other human foods to avoid when feeding your dog are: macadamia nuts, potato peelings and green-looking potatoes, rhubarb leaves, moldy/spoiled foods, alcohol, yeast dough, tomato leaves and stems, broccoli, and raisins or grapes.

Some human foods potentially cause only mild digestive upsets, while others can be fatal. Regardless of the level of danger, the best choice for your puppy is to keep him or her away from any potentially harmful foods in order to ensure their health and safety.

During the holiday season, veterinary clinics have noticed a rising in the number of dogs that they treat for food-related illnesses. The increase in dog illness is mostly due to the fact that they are partaking in human foods during mealtime.

Although not well known by the public, the consumption of some human food to canines is potentially harmful, and in some instances, can be fatal. The rise in food-related illnesses by dogs is a clear indication that the dangers of human food consumption by them are not known and or understood by the masses.

So, the next time your puppy looks up at you with those pleading eyes, show them you care by doing what is truly best for them and feed him or her only products meant for dog consumption. In the end, both you and your dog will be glad that you did.

Pet Article courtesy of http://pet-articles.blogspot.com

To Read Part 1 Click Here

2 thoughts on “How Can Human Food Harm Our Dogs-Part 2

  1. I acquired a golden lab last September, he is 4 this year, last owners had to surrender him but he has a love for apples, fresh from the tree and strawberries . Will either harm him?

    Like

    1. Apples are definitely ok in moderation minus the seeds. Dogs can eat strawberries, they are full of fiber and vitamin c, they also contain certain enzymes which can help whiten their teeth but also due to the sugar in them, must be given in moderation 😊

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.